- Categories: News
Tunisia, Senegal, Egypt and Algeria affirm instances of coronavirus
Tunisia, Senegal, Egypt and Algeria have all affirmed new instances of coronavirus, bringing the absolute number of those tainted with the dangerous disease to five in Africa.
In a statement shared on the Facebook page of Egypt’s health ministry, it was gathered that the foreigner who tested positive for the new coronavirus strain was taken to an isolation hospital and is currently receiving necessary medical care. The North African country is also taking strict preventive measures regarding those who were in contact with the person.
Algeria on the other hand announced its first coronavirus case, an Italian national who arrived in the country on February 17. He was later flown home to Italy which has almost 1,700 cases.
Tunisia’s health Minister, Abdelatif el-Maki in a press conference on Monday March 2 announced the country’s first case of coronavirus. The Tunisian man who came in from Italy, tested positive for the flu-like virus.
Senegal’s Minister of Health, Abdoulaye Diouf Sarr who confirmed the country’s first coronavirus case, said the French national arrived the country last week. He further disclosed that he is under observation at an Institute in Dakar.
The patient has however been in contact with his wife and two children, the minister said. It was not clear how many other people had also been in contact with him. Authorities are in the process of tracing the other passengers on the Air Senegal flight.
As of Monday, there have been over 89,000 cases of the virus globally, the majority in China. Outside of China, the deadly disease has been confirmed in 66 countries, with more than 8,800 cases and 130 deaths. Globally, the illness has killed over 3,000 people.